Its well documented in the databases of recruitment companies that within 3-6 months of an accepted counter offer, the employee will be back on the market hunting for a job again! A genuine offer or a quick fix?
Whether you are looking for a new job, hiring a new employee or have just had a resignation – its necessary to expect a textbook case of the COUNTER OFFER and its consequence to appear in your process.
From time to time a genuine counter offer can lead to a better work experience and ongoing loyalty, however in most cases a counter offer is a short tem fix! What will yours be?
BEFORE you ACCEPT a counter offer ask:
- Will the conditions of this offer actually address and resolve my reasons for leaving in the first place, or is the is a short term fix?
- Is this offer being made with my best interests at heart or is this an attempt to deal with the inconvenience of my resignation?
- Why has it taken an extreme action like my resignation to get what I have asked for? How will I address my future requirements with this business?
- Will my loyalty be questioned and future opportunities be jeapordised as a result of my resignation?
- Will I be accepting this offer because I finally feel validated and acknowledged rather than because it is in my best interests?
- What effect will accepting this offer have on my professional reputation and what impact will it have on the organization that has just hired me?
- Am I really willing to recommit to a career and am I able to fully engage with this business?
- Am I considering this offer because I have cold feet and the security of what I know seems a better option than taking a risk? Am I afraid of making the wrong the decision?
BEFORE you MAKE a counter offer ask:
- Do I really understand this person’s reasons for leaving and does this offer genuinely address or resolve the issues?
- Is this offer in the best interests of the employee and the business or am I trying to avoid the inconvenience of the resignation?
- Am I making this offer because I am afraid of the consequences of this person leaving?
- Am I confident that this person will be able to re-engage in the business?
- Is this an ideal opportunity to assess the needs of the role in question and the contribution that this person is actually making?
- Could this resignation be to the long-term advantage of the business?
- What will need to be addressed with this person so that we can work in partnership. Do I trust their loyalty?
Got some helpful counter offer insight or advice ?– tell us all about it!